A belt-driven audiophile turntable with style, at a fantastic price-point.
The MMF 5.3 is a 2-speed belt-driven audiophile-grade turntable employing the unique dual-plinth construction originated by Music Hall.
- Music Hall’s unique dual-plinth construction
- Gorgeous high-gloss piano black lacquer finish
- Top tier 9” carbon fibre tonearm
- Fully adjustable VTA, azimuth, and dampened arm lift mechanism
- Counterweight’s centre of gravity is level with the stylus tip, is decoupled from the arm, and acts as a resonance damper
- DC synchronous motor for superior speed stability, separately isolated on the lower platform
- Two-speed stepped motor pulley for 33 1/3 and 45 RPM speeds
- Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge with replaceable nude elliptical diamond stylus ($369 value)
- The cartridge supplied is properly aligned and mounted
- Precision stainless steel main bearing sheathed in Teflon® for noise-free fluid operation
- Alloy platter with soft felt mat screw-on record clamp
- High-quality gold RCA connectors
- Detachable phono cable
- Special vibration damping adjustable feet
- Built-in round spirit level for proper levelling
- Low noise fully manual belt-drive design
- Dust cover and 45 RPM adaptor included
Owner's Manual (PDF)
The distinctive design isolates the critical sound reproducing components; platter, main bearing, tonearm, and cartridge on the top platform from the motor, switch, wiring, and feet which are mounted on the bottom platform.
Music Hall’s unique dual-plinth construction serves to look fantastic in your home and also provides unique sound-improvements. Viso-elastic cones separate the two platforms and provide vibration damping, meaning that without investing in any additional equipment, your turntable is resisting external vibrations which would otherwise interrupt the playback of your records.
The 3-foot "tripod" design is another vibration-neutralising feature of this turntable. By minimising the number of contact points the turntable has with the surface it's sitting on, external vibrations such as footsteps and door slams, which would otherwise travel through your furniture and into the unit, are reduced. The result is a clearer, uninterrupted vinyl playback with less wear on your records.
Setup is simple and easy with the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge being pre-fitted and aligned in the factory so you will be ready to start listening to your favourite records in no time.
The MMF 5.3, like many of Music Hall's high-quality turntables, supports both 33.3 RPM and 45 RPM records. Sticking with Music Hall's simplified focus and minimal design approach, the speed change is handled manually by the listener. Simply remove the platter and move the belt to the appropriate notch on the spindle. This process eliminates the need for an extra gearing system or other electronics which can add noise to the signal, keeping the listening experience as clean as possible.
The MMF 5.3 features a special anti-skate system using gravity to keep the tonearm aligned correctly. A small weight is used to counteract the inherent force that pushes the tonearm towards the centre of the record due to the friction between the stylus and the record's surface. This ensures the stylus is balanced perfectly in the record's groove.
A removable hinged dust cover is included to protect your new turntable from dust and also to help isolate it from unwanted vibrations from your speakers.
The Ortofon 2M Series is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove.
- An improved engine, which provides an increased output of 5.5mV and an optimized sound reproduction and a high level of sonic accuracy
- Nude Elliptical diamond and split pole pins with a copper wire
- Adds more dynamics and resolution, sounds more open and reproduces more details than the 2M Red cartridge
- Excellent compatibility when used with a wide variety of phono preamps
The 2M Series is developed in conjunction with the Danish Industrial designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award-winning MC Jubilee and Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality.
2M is a play on the term "MM", which is the abbreviation for moving magnet, the most widely used cartridge type.
Of course, the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. It has been engineered to the highest standards and is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without colouration.
|Model Number||MMF 5.3|
Power Supply: 15V / 0-0.8mA DC, universal power supply